The process for requesting your professional educator license or endorsements begins with our online form, accessed through the NLU Student Portal. Please keep in mind, however, that this is only the first step. Continue reading for the full process to make sure you provide the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) with all of the information needed to grant your credentials. If you have any questions along the way, email us at email@example.com.
Step 1: Submit your online request
- Make sure you have the following information at-hand
- Full contact information including your Social Security number and NLU ID number
- The names, dates and degrees of colleges and universities you have previously attended
- Log in to the NLU Student Portal
- Click on the Student Services tab
- Click on the link “Request for Professional Educator License or Endorsements” under the Student Services header
- Fill out the form
- Note: If you answer “yes” to any of the state-required questions, we will still put your application forth to the state and the final decision regarding your application will be made by ISBE.
- Click “Submit”
- You will be sent to a “Thank you” screen and you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not reach the screen or do not receive the email, your request was not processed correctly and you will need to resubmit.
The Licensure Coordinator will review your request and make sure all requirements have been met. We will contact you only if there are questions. Applications from M.A.T. Elementary Education and M.A.T. Secondary Education students who have finished the licensure sequence will be processed when final grades are posted on NLU transcripts and all other requirements have been completed. Applications for BA Early Childhood Education, BA Elementary Education, MAT Early Childhood Education, MAT/MED Special Education will be processed following the degree award date. This process may take up to four weeks. Applications for stand-alone endorsements are processed on a rolling basis when grades have posted on transcripts.
Step 2: Submit your transcript
- ISBE requires that candidates for Professional Educator Licenses submit transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, both undergraduate and graduate
- While you wait for your request to be processed, you should order transcripts from all schools except NLU and have them mailed to ISBE:
Illinois State Board of Education
Educator Licensing Division
100 N. First St., S-306
Springfield, IL 62777-0001
- Electronic transcripts may be sent directly from the university to ISBE. The email address for submission of transcripts to ISBE is firstname.lastname@example.org Only e-transcripts from an institution will be accepted as official transcripts
- When all of your grades and your degree are posted, order your NLU transcript and have it mailed to the address above
Step 3: Finalize your application online with ISBE
- Check your email for a message from our Licensure Coordinator. It will contain full instructions on how to finalize your license or endorsement with ISBE. These instructions will be specific to your particular credential and it is important that you follow them closely.
- Upon completion of your finalization, you will imeediately receive your credentials from ISBE.