Tutoring is provided by Learning Support Specialists who are knowledgeable and competent in their subject areas. They are available to help you review your work. They will not take the place of your course instructor in the teaching of the content material for your course. They are here to help you build your competency based skills in order to become a more independent and successful student.
In-Person & Online Tutoring with NLU Tutors
Learning Support Specialists and librarians provide virtual and in-person tutoring for the following subject areas.
- Writing (grammar, usage, mechanics, style, organization, and citations)
- Math (algebra, statistics, probability, finite, and pre-calculus)
- Science (biology, chemistry, and environmental science)
- Research (research process, using library resources, finding and evaluating sources)
- Test Preparation
- TAP (Test of Academic Proficiency)
- COMPASS Math and Writing Placement Assessments
Online Tutoring with Smarthinking
Smarthinking is our innovative online tutoring service, which provides live chat with a tutor in your subject area. You can also submit a writing sample for tips and suggestions. Expect a reply within 24 hours or less.
You can access Smarthinking from the Student Services tab of your NLU Portal.
Subjects available through Smarthinking:
- Writing (all subjects)
- Research and Documentation
- APA Formatting
- Math en español
- Accounting & Finance
- Individual Income Tax