M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
The National Louis Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction is a two-year, advanced practitioner-oriented professional preparation program for curriculum leaders. This program prepares educators for a variety of roles including Curriculum and Assessment Director, Curriculum and Instruction Director, Curriculum Coordinator, Curriculum Director, Curriculum Specialist and School Standards Coach.
With this innovative and comprehensive program you can also:
- Earn your ESL or ESL/Bilingual Education Endorsement today while preparing for your full M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction tomorrow!
- Choose a Personalized Option Concentration that allows you to diversify your knowledge or augment existing credit or future credit requirements for various endorsements.
Consider getting your graduate degree in Curriculum and Instruction at National Louis University (NLU) if you:
- Are interested in strengthening your instructional practices
- Want to enhance your curriculum design capabilities
- Want to increase and improve learner achievements
- Are interested in initially earning an ESL or ESL/Bilingual Education endorsement or taking other diverse, specialized coursework in route to earning your full M.Ed.
- Would like to expand your career options and increase your salary levels
Find out more about NLU's Master of Education degree programs >>
Combining structured curriculum through coursework and advanced clinical experiences, the program integrates theory, research and practice into a cohesive plan of study for curriculum leaders. The major areas of focus include:
- curriculum theory
- curriculum design and planning
- instructional material design and evaluation, curriculum evaluation
- applying curriculum and instruction strategies to specific school improvement needs
Students may customize their degree by choosing the ESL/Bilingual Education concentration or personalize their learning program by blending credits earned elsewhere with approved coursework.
ESL/Bilingual Education – meets the State of Illinois requirements to work in a Bilingual Education, ESL or Dual Instructional program.
Personalized Option - allows students to create their own concentration using graduate level courses in the National College of Education.
Employment of curriculum leaders is projected to grow 7 percent from 2014 to 2024, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
Employment growth is expected as schools focus on evaluating and improving curriculums and teachers’ effectiveness. Schools are focusing on the teachers’ role in improving students’ learning. Instructional coordinators can provide training for teachers in curriculum changes and teaching techniques, thereby helping schools to meet standards in student achievement.
There is an increased emphasis on holding states and schools accountable for student achievement. Some states and school districts are using accountability measures, such as test scores and graduation rates, to evaluate their school curriculums. Curriculum leaders will be needed to evaluate and improve curriculums and provide mentoring for teachers.
NLU has a long-standing reputation for its education and teacher training programs, and is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Since 1886, we’ve trained thousands of educators principals and superintendents. Our alumni help us locate schools for advanced clinical experiences and serve as an excellent resource for candidates seeking career advice and/or information about latest job openings in your area. This program meets the needs of talented educators seeking to advance their career by developing the necessary knowledge and skills to serve as curriculum leaders and is designed to meet the needs of working adults. Class options range from fully online to the more traditional model of meeting every week on a specified weeknight.
All applicants must meet NLU's general admission requirements as well as additional requirements specific to this program. Refer to the appropriate application checklist available online at nl.edu/applyonline.
Get more information today about enrolling in one of NLU's degree programs. Connect with an Enrollment Specialist or call 888.NLU.TODAY (888-658-8632).