Due to the overwhelming response from the NLU community, the Connection Committee is excited to once again sponsor a Month of Service!
Throughout the month of May, staff, faculty and alumni are invited to contribute at least four hours during the work week to serve in various ways throughout their communities. If you or your colleagues are looking for volunteer opportunities, please see below. We know that many of you already volunteer throughout the year so please feel free to continue with that commitment and invite colleagues to partner with you!
The list of service opportunities thus far includes:
- Feed My Starving Children; www.fmsc.org
- Palatine Township Food Pantry; www.palatinetownship.com/foodpantry
- Feeding America (BackPack Program); www.feedingamerica.org/about-us/helping-hungry-children/backpack-program
- Autism Speaks Walk Chicago 2016 (May 14); www.autismspeakswalk.org
- Create The Good (webpage of voluntary opportunities); www.createthegood.org
- Mats for the Homeless; www.stedna.org/parishLife/groups/MatsfortheHomeless
- BookFriends; www.bookfriends.org
- Better World Books; www.betterworldbooks.com/go/donatebooks
- The Talking Farm; www.thetalkingfarm.org/workdays
Still looking for more ideas?
- All for Good helps you find and share ways to do good
- Corporation for National & Community Service UNITED WE SERVE
- Volunteer Match brings good people and good causes together
NLU's staff photographer, James Richards, will be available to take pictures of select volunteer groups based on the guidelines below. If you meet these criteria and wish to have photos taken, please contact James directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Groups of at least five people
- At least one week's notice, include date and time
- Consent of the volunteer site to allow photography
- Understanding that not all requests can be accommodated due to scheduling
All volunteers, whether individuals or groups, are welcome and encouraged to take their own pictures and send them to HR as email attachments or share on Instagram at #NLUlife.