As part of our commitment to our military students, National Louis University’s “Veterans Program” was launched to provide support services for active and veteran military students. The objective of our program is to help our students smoothly transfer from serving in the military to transitioning into academia and eventually to a career in the civilian workplace.
What Makes Our Veterans Program Different?
NLU offers holistic support to our students by having a dedicated staff member point of contact. The NLU Director of Armed Services is here to help students effectively leverage the “wrap-around” support provided by NLUs internal resources and partner organizations. By having a staff member with military experience help them navigate any challenges, our students are able to focus on their education without distraction.
NLU Wrap-Around Support Services
Additional Veterans Program Elements
In addition to our wrap-around support services, NLU strives to make the school experience seamless by offering military students:
- A financial aid person on staff to help them navigate through and apply for benefits
- Tuition discounts and book vouchers
- Credit hours for military experience
- A Student Veterans of America Chapter that allows for direct interaction with other veterans
- A Brigadier General, with over 28 years of military experience, overseeing the program development
- Online classes to accommodate the scheduling needs of the Active Duty, Reserve and National Guard military students
- A Veterans’ lounge that provides a comfortable space where students can connect with other veterans and access important resources
- Staff that have been educated to identify the unique needs of veterans
- A Military Events page that provides information on upcoming seminars, workshops, and webinars designed to help our military students transition into the workplace
- The guidance of a strong Advisory Committee, consisting of 19 volunteers with varying military backgrounds
To assist students with the transition from NLU to the workplace, we offer:
- An Employer Outreach Specialist to help students obtain work-study, internships and part-time and full-time positions
- An online career tool, specifically designed for veterans, that contains self-tests, job search guidance, tips on how to translate military skills to civilian jobs, and more. Contact Emily Drake for more details.
Please check our web site for updates as we develop additional services for our veteran students and other military members.