Teacher Prep Degree Programs
As Chicagoland’s premiere “teacher of teachers,” NLU also offers a wide range of M.A.T. and B.A. education degree options.
The ILTS Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) is one of the most important tests on the road to obtaining an Illinois certificate to work in a K-12 setting. In order to help you achieve your goals, NLU offers a series of TAP workshops in critical content areas. All workshops are FREE to NLU applicants and students and open to everyone else for a fee.*
NLU's TAP workshops may improve your chances of passing all sections of the TAP within the five attempts the ISBE allows, as suggested by test results of past NLU workshop attendees. Get fully prepared for the TAP and register for a workshop today!
Chicago Workshop Series:
- Math Basics – Tuesday, 05/14/13, 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Reading – Thursday, 05/09/13, 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Math Content – Tuesday, 05/21/13, 6:00pm-9:00pm
- Grammar – Thursday, 05/16/13, 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Usage and Writing – Thursday, 05/23/13, 5:00pm-7:00pm
Lisle Workshop Series:
- Reading - Saturday, 05/18/13, 10:00am-12:00pm
- Grammar - Saturday, 05/18/13, 12:30pm-2:30pm
- Usage & Writing - Saturday, 05/25/13, 10:00am-12:00pm
- Math Content - Saturday, 05/25/13, 12:30pm-3:30pm
Skokie (North Shore) Workshop Series:
- Reading - Monday, 05/06/13, 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Grammar - Monday, 05/13/13, 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Math Content - Saturday, 05/18/13, 1:00pm-4:00pm
- Usage and Writing - Monday, 05/20/13, 5:30pm-7:30pm
Wheeling Workshop Series:
- Reading - Saturday, 06/01/13, 10:00am-12:00pm
- Grammar - Saturday, 06/01/13, 12:30pm-2:30pm
- Math Content - Saturday, 06/08/13, 10:00am-1:00pm
- Usage and Writing - Saturday, 06/08/13, 1:30pm-3:30pm
Chicago Workshop Series:
- Math Basics - Tuesday, 06/04/13, 5:00pm-8:00pm
- Math Content – Thursday, 06/06/13, 5:00pm-8:00pm
- Reading – Thursday, 06/13/13, 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Grammar – Thursday, 06/20/13, 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Usage and Writing - Thursday, 06/27/13, 5:00pm-7:00pm
TAP Workshop Series Description
A workshop series consists of a workshop in each of the following areas:
This two-hour review workshop will refresh students' knowledge of basic grammar. The workshop will begin with an overview of the different parts of speech and then go into the standards of grammar such as subject-verb agreement, pronoun-antecedent agreement, and pronoun usage. At the end, there will be time set aside to review questions from the practice test and discuss test-taking strategies.
Usage and Writing
This two-hour workshop will review the skills needed to pass both the language arts and writing sections of the TAP. It will begin by reviewing proper sentence structure and punctuation rules, then conclude with a review of the standards of academic writing. At the end, there will be time set aside to review questions from the practice test and discuss test-taking strategies.
In this two-hour workshop, students will review the six standards covered in the reading section of the TAP and review reading strategies. During this review, students are encouraged to answer practice questions and perform exercises that will simulate the questions seen on the test.
This three-hour math basics workshop is offered at the Chicago campus as a chance to brush up on math fundamentals. This workshop will review topics such as multiplication, division, fractions, area, and percentages. It is a great warm-up to the math content workshop. Please note, the math basics workshop will not delve into content; content will be introduced in the math content workshop.
This three-hour workshop will review concepts and formulas needed for the TAP math section. Some concepts covered are equations, geometry, and problem-solving. Students will complete a review packet designed to emulate questions as seen on the test.
TAP Workshop Registration
Email the following information to email@example.com:
- your first and last name
- telephone number
- workshop dates and campus
- NLU status (applicant / student / non-NLU student)
Within two to three business days, you will receive a confirmation email.
PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR WORKSHOP ATTENDANCE. REGISTRATION FOR ANY GIVEN WORKSHOP CLOSES 48 BUSINESS HOURS PRIOR TO THE WORKSHOP DATE.
- FREE for NLU students and applicants*
- $20.00 for an individual workshop
- $65.00 for a complete workshop series
- Payment in the form of check or money order is required prior to workshop. Cash and credit/debit card payments are not accepted
- Learning Support offers at the Chicago campus a math basics workshop for those in need of a more in-depth review of math fundamentals.
- Be advised that the workshops are not classes but are designed to review the state standards of each sub-area and help you to identify any further need of study. If a course is needed to enable students to be at the level where they can pass the Test of Academic Proficiency, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*You must be an applicant or student at the time of registration for the workshops to be free. If you pay for a workshop and become an applicant afterward, we can’t provide a refund.