What is the NLU commencement registration process?
You are currently able to submit a diploma and degree finalization to graduate on December 31, 2012; April 15, 2013; July 15, 2013; or September 15, 2013. You must complete the diploma and degree finalization request online to register for commencement.
- The diploma and degree finalization request is available here. This request will begin your diploma finalization process AND allow you to register for the commencement ceremony at your campus.
- If you did not receive a confirmation email, are not sure whether your form has been received or you have missed the deadline, call the Office of Admissions and Records at 800.366.3623 extension 5718.
- Order your cap and gown from Herff Jones. To order, go to http://herffjones.com/college/nlu/.
How do I contact the Commencement Office on my campus?
· Illinois: Call 312.261.3568, email email@example.com
· Florida: Call 813.491.6124, email firstname.lastname@example.org
· Wisconsin: Call 414.577.2658 x6201, email email@example.com
Is there a cost for my cap and gown? How do I order? What color is my hood?
- You must purchase your cap and gown from Herff Jones. You can order online at http://herffjones.com/college/nlu/.
- Undergraduate cap, gown and tassel are $33 plus tax (IL only) and shipping. Undergraduates wear black gowns and caps with the NLU tassels.
- Master's cap, gown, tassel and hood are $49 plus tax (IL only) and shipping. Again, each student will receive a black gown and NLU tassel.
- Educational Specialist cap, gown, tassel and hood are $40 plus tax (IL only) and shipping.
- Doctoral candidate cap, gown, tassel and hood are $55 plus tax (IL only) and shipping. You need to provide your degree type when ordering, e.g. Doctorate of Education.
What is the purpose of the diploma finalization request?
- The request notifies the OAR that you are finishing your degree requirements. The submission of the request starts a degree audit process.
Do I have to submit the diploma finalization request to be in the ceremony?
- Yes, it is a prerequisite. A students interested in participating in the commencement ceremony must submit a diploma finalization request to the Office of Admissions and Records.
I need more information on the diploma finalization request.
- Check out the OAR diploma page here.
Is there a cost for commencement registration?
- There is no cost to participate in the commencement ceremony. NLU provides the ceremony to its students for free. Most universities charge a commencement fee; however, NLU hosts the ceremony as a gift, in celebration of your accomplishment and hard work!
- You must purchase your cap and gown from Herff Jones to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Why would my name not appear in the program?
- The prerequisite for commencement is the diploma finalization request. If you failed to submit the diploma finalization request or submitted your request after the deadline to register for the commencement ceremony, your name will not be in the program.
I have not received information about the commencement ceremony. Should I worry? Am I registered for the ceremony?
- Each campus will mail out information approximately two weeks before their ceremony. If you are concerned about your registration or you haven't received any information about the commencement ceremony, please call your campus Commencement Office.
Where is the commencement ceremony being held? How do I get there?
- Illinois ceremony: directions to the Arie Crown Theater at http://www.ariecrown.com/visit/location_directions.html
- Wisconsin ceremony: directions to the Grand Geneva Resort at www.grandgeneva.com
- Florida ceremony: directions to the St. Petersburg Coliseum at www.stpete.org/coliseum.htm.
Will I receive my diploma at the ceremony?
NO. You will receive a diploma cover containing alumni information. Remember that your participation or attendance at an NLU commencement does not mean that you have completed your degree. Your diploma will be sent to you only if you have submitted your diploma finalization form, all of your degree requirements have been fulfilled and you have no financial responsibility to NLU. Diplomas are sent out approximately eight weeks after the degree is conferred. Please go to www.nl.edu/oar/services/degrees-diplomas.cfm for approximate mail dates. Questions about diplomas must be directed to the Office of Admissions and Records.
How many guests may I bring to the ceremony? Do I receive tickets or parking passes?
- Illinois commencement ticket numbers are based on the number of graduates. You will receive more information on the number of guest tickets you will receive after you have registered for the ceremony.
- The Florida commencement does not distribute tickets, and there is no cost to park.
- Tickets are not needed for Wisconsin, nor is there a charge to park.
Are there are any recommendations for the day of the ceremony?
- Please arrive at least one hour before the ceremony at your line-up location. Give additional time to park.
- We recommend cool clothing under your graduation robe.
- Do not use cell phones or beepers during the ceremony, as it will disrupt those around you. Any student or guest disrupting the ceremony or who refuses to comply with the requests of the ushers/security will be asked to leave the ceremony.
- Do not leave the ceremony early.
- Be sure to arrange a location for you to meet your guests outside of the ceremony site.
Are your event locations accessible to the handicapped?
- Yes! Each ceremony location is handicapped accessible.
- If you or one of your guests has special needs, please include that information on your commencement registration form. The facilities used for ceremonies have handicapped parking and entrances.
How long is the ceremony?
- The Illinois graduate ceremony is approximately two and a half hours. The Illinois undergraduate ceremony is approximately two hours. Please give yourself additional time when arriving and departing the ceremony location.
- The Florida ceremony lasts 1¾ hours.
- Wisconsin's ceremony will last one and a half hours.
I have lost my reader card for the ceremony. What should I do?
- Illinois graduates: Arrive at least one hour prior to the start time of the ceremony and report to the graduate line-up area. NLU will have staff and faculty available to issue new seating assignments and to reissue seating cards to those individuals who have misplaced them.
- Non-Illinois graduates: Contact your campus Commencement Office for more information.
I am a Chicago-area student. May I participate in the Wisconsin ceremony instead of the Chicago ceremony?
- No. The Wisconsin commencement ceremony is for the Beloit and Milwaukee campuses only because only the degrees that are offered on the Beloit and Milwaukee campuses can be conferred at the Wisconsin ceremony
- However, all non-Illinois graduates are invited to the Illinois commencement ceremony!