To apply online you will need to access your ECS system account and use a valid American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa to pay the application fee.
- Log into your ECS account. (If you don't have an account, you can create one here.)
- Select the "Applications" menu item.
- Select the "Entitlement Certificate Application" menu item.
- Click on the "Apply Online" link to the right of your entitlement certificate.
- Follow the 11-step wizard application process.
At the end of application process, use your internet browser's print button to print the last screen.
You can also print the screen under "Current Credentials" for proof of certification.
Make sure your address is current. The state will mail your certificate to this address.
If you have difficulties, you may call the HELP number listed in the ECS instructions.
You must mail transcripts from all institutions you have attended - undergraduate and graduate - to:
|IL State Board of Education|
|Teacher Certification Dept|
|100 North First Street|
|Springfield, IL 62777|
If you have already submitted a particular transcript to the state, you do not need to send another. If at the time of certification your degree had not been awarded and reported to ISBE, send a final transcript when your degree is awarded to have the degree listed in the ECS system.
MPORTANT NOTE: You must register your certificate: Once your certificate has been issued, you will need to register it online or through your ROE. Per IL law PA 97-0607, effective August 2011, all certificates must be registered or they will be lapsed after 6 months.* To register online at the ECS account, select "Register/Renew" on the menu and follow the 11-step wizard. On step three, select the region of the state where you will be teaching. If you do not know where you will be teaching, select the region where you live and register here. If you receive a position in a different location than the current region, you can log into the ECS system at a later time and register in the new region.
* If a certificate lapses, the certificate holder must apply for registration & reinstatement. The certificate holder must pay back fees & provide a transcript documenting 9 credit hours of coursework, completed in the last 5 years, in his/her specific certification area.