M.A. in Psychology
National Louis University’s Master of Arts in Psychology is designed for those passionate about the study of human behavior and the many diverse career options available in helping, business, and teaching professions.
The Master of Arts in Psychology, one of today’s most respected graduate degrees, is also designed for students intent on furthering their careers or continuing to the doctoral level.
Consider getting your Master's in Psychology at NLU if you:
- Wish to expand your knowledge of human behavior and the fields of psychology
- Are interested in launching or advancing your career in psychology
- Want to bring the skills and insight learned in a psychology program to another field of work and further your career
- Would like to teach at a community college or at an undergraduate university
- Are thinking about getting your doctorate degree
Students who are interested in enhancing their master’s degree, are looking for professional skills, or are interested in furthering their education beyond a bachelor’s degree may be interested in a psychology graduate certificate. Students can choose from one of the following certificates:
- Graduate Certificate in General Psychology
- Graduate Certificate in Psychology: Health
- Graduate Certificate in Psychology: Human Development
- Graduate Certificate in Psychology: Organizational
- Graduate Certificate in Psychology: Psychological Assessment
Why NLU for a Master's in Psychology
NLU's Master of Arts in Psychology is a comprehensive program designed specifically for the needs of adult students with features that set it apart:
- Personal touch – A face-to-face program delivered by caring, dedicated and experienced instructors.
- Professionally focused – Career planning interwoven throughout the program, connecting each student with his or her potential career path.
- Renowned faculty – Full-time and part-time credentialed instructors with years of applied experience in the field.
- Learning community – Small class size and a cohort model means students progress through the program with the same group of peers.
- Flexible schedule – Evening and online blended coursework designed for busy adults.
- Accelerated format – An 18-month curriculum enables students to graduate quickly.
- Connections after graduation – Students will become members of a professional community of psychology graduates with enhanced opportunities for ongoing career development.
What You Will Learn
- The theoretical foundations of psychology
- Core concepts of human development, social, abnormal, organizational and health psychology as well as psychological assessment
- Ethical and legal challenges in psychology
- Psychological research and its applications
- Fluency in American Psychological Association (APA) writing style
- Career options available for graduates
Students will also write a thesis or take a comprehensive examination seminar to cap off their NLU Master's in Psychology program.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for professionals with a background in psychology is expected to grow 22 percent from 2010 to 2020, faster than the average for all occupations. Employment growth will vary by specialty, but more professionals will be needed to help people deal with issues such as depression and other mental disorders, marriage and family problems, job stress and addiction. Master's in Psychology degree holders will also be needed to provide services to an aging population, veterans suffering from war trauma, other trauma survivors and individuals with autism.
All applicants must meet NLU's graduate admission requirements. Refer to the appropriate application checklist available online at www.nl.edu/applyonline.