National Louis University offers a broad range of options for students looking to add expertise beyond their degree and expand their career opportunities. These programs are offered in three categories: non-degree subsequent certifications, endorsements and approvals.
What We Offer
NLU offers coursework that may lead to state teaching and counseling subsequent certifications, endorsements and approvals. Please note that you must have at least a bachelor's degree to take graduate-level work.
Teaching Certification Programs: Aimed at practicing teachers who wish to obtain subsequent teacher certification in another level of teaching. At the conclusion of study, students may apply for the additional state certification.*
Teaching Endorsements: An endorsement is a permanent addition to a teaching certificate that permits a practicing teacher to work in an additional content area.
Teaching Approvals: An approval is a recognition by the state that a practicing teacher has completed a certain number of courses in a content area but not enough to meet requirements for a new license in that area, permitting the teacher to work in an area without committing to a full subsequent teacher certification program.
*(For details on initial teacher certification, visit Certifications and Endorsements at NLU. For further details on subsequent certifications, endorsements and approvals, visit the Illinois State Board of Education.)
Learn more about what's available from NLU:
- ESL or Bilingual Endorsements and Approvals
- Learning Behavior Specialist I Approval or Endorsement
- Learning Behavior Specialist II Approval or Endorsement
- Library Information Specialist Endorsement
- Reading Teacher Endorsement
- Director of Special Education Endorsement
- Early Childhood Special Education Approval
- Elementary Education Subsequent Certification (Type 03)
- School Counseling for non-teachers (Type 73 Certification)
- School Counseling for certified teachers (Type 73 Certification)
- Secondary Education Subsequent Certification (Type 09)
- Special Education Subsequent Certification (Type 10)
- Superintendent Credential Subsequent Certification (Type 75)
Application rules and requirements vary for each certification and endorsement program at NLU. Contact an enrollment specialist at 888.NLU.TODAY (658.8632) or online to receive program and registration information.