Teacher Prep Degree Programs
As Chicagoland’s premiere “teacher of teachers,” NLU also offers a wide range of M.A.T. and B.A. education degree options.
Want to enroll in a teacher-preparation program at NLU? If so, you must take and pass the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP).* Passing the TAP is required before you can be admitted into a teacher preparation program.
If you're nervous about taking the TAP for the first time or have had trouble passing the TAP, NLU offers intensive courses that serve as a targeted review of the skills necessary to pass. It's highly recommended you take all three courses if you are new to the TAP.
The courses will be offered from January to March at the Chicago, Lisle and Wheeling campuses and begin the second week of each month. In addition:
- Three courses are available, one for each TAP sub-area, which you can take individually or as a set: Math, Language Arts and Reading Comprehension.
- Each course has three sessions total, one per week. Each session lasts three hours. If you register for all three, you will take nine hours a week.
Benefits of the TAP courses:
- Computer-based practice tests simulate the TAP test and are completed in the first and last week to assess the student's progress throughout the course
- A personalized plan will be created by the end of the course, recommending ways to strengthen weak areas
- Courses are aligned with NLU term starts to allow students time to take and pass the TAP before their program begins the next term
- If all three courses are taken, NLU will reimburse for cost of one TAP attempt**
Connect with an enrollment specialist today to register for the courses or to learn more!
Call: 888-658-8632 option 1
Request Info: www.nl.edu/requestinfo
* Please note that you get only 5 lifetime attempts to pass the TAP and must wait 60 days after each try before taking the test again, if needed.
** $41.67 per sub-area course and $125.01 for all three.