The Civic Engagement Center is your campus resource for life-changing opportunities to learn and serve. National Louis University has always been an active and integral member of the community. We train the teachers, principals, social workers, business leaders and community developers who contribute to the health and prosperity of our cities, towns and neighborhoods. We also believe that service is one of the greatest teachers. It opens the heart while challenging the mind to solve real problems for real people. Both students and communities win when service is integrated into the curriculum.
The mission of the Civic Engagement Center (CEC) is aligned, with National Louis University mission as stated above, we seek to advance the education of students to become civic-minded, actively engaged, life-long scholars, and leaders on campus, locally, throughout the nation and globally.
The Civic Engagement Center Promotes:
- Awareness of Academic Experiential Learning opportunities, to increase critical analysis and discussion skills
- Partnerships among National-Louis campuses members and community members, built on shared passions and community development goals
- Support student development in leadership through volunteerism, advocacy, experiential learning, and various civic engagement initiatives
- Recognize student and faculty involvement in social, political and cultural, cross-cultural, local, national and international inquiry and research
- Provide service to community that enhances ethical awareness and civic responsiveness
Service Opportunities at NLU
As an NLU student, you will find opportunities for meaningful civic engagement in your courses, in local schools and through national organizations and faculty-led service trips.
- Academic Service Learning – NLU faculty work with local schools and non-profits to development coursework and group projects that directly benefit the community.
- Volunteer Opportunities – Volunteer for youth and adult literacy programs, tutor kids in math and science, or connect with a national organization like Big Brothers Big Sisters or Habitat for Humanity.
- Service Trips – Travel with NLU to New Orleans to assist and advise public and private schools in literacy and math programs, as well as help make facility improvements.
Put your NLU education to work for the good of the community. Contact the Civic Engagement Center at 312.255.2667 or email@example.com.