Increasing student engagement is an important priority for NLU. Learners who report higher levels of engagement achieve high learning outcomes throughout their programs of study. Success through engagement reflects the investment of time and effort that students put into their studies and other educationally purposeful activities. Faculty contribute to this success by using research informed approaches to selecting learning resources, organizing syllabi and providing field based experiences to motivate students to achieve quality learning outcomes.
- Link to NSSE, the National Survey of Student Engagement
Benchmarks of Effective Educational Practice
NSSE lists five key benchmarks based on a survey, that capture the vital aspects of student experience. These student behaviors and institutional features are some of the more powerful contributors to learning and personal development.
- Level of Academic Challenge (LAC)
- Active and Collaborative Learning (ACL)
- Student-Faculty Interaction (SFI)
- Supportive Campus Environment (SCE)
- Enriching Educational Experiences (EEE)