Frequently Asked Questions
Concerning the Online Competency Appraisal
The "SPE Tools" website... ( http://www.nl.edu/spetools )
provides all CTs, USs, and students an easy to remember site for submitting their Competency Appraisals and Student Teaching Experience Survey. Moving this process to an electronic form means that we have a legal, safe method of collecting all of this data. Here are some concerns and some explanations that have helped other programs going through this same process:
1. "I like recording Competency Appraisals on paper while I'm observing my teaching candidate": Supervisors can still fill out the paper version, but they are now required to transfer that to the electronic online form afterward.
2. "I don't have access to a computer": Computer labs are available for your use on all campuses.
3. "Do I have to print out the Competency Appraisal and use it for the Exit Interview?" No, you can still use the original form that you are familiar with, but at some point that information needs to be entered into the Competency Appraisal found on the SPE Tools site .
4. "Can I simply submit the Competency Appraisal online and print out the results for the Exit Interview?" Yes, you can print the Printable Version immediately after submitting it online. Please be aware that it does print out on double the number of pages due to the way it is formatted online. As for any signatures that are required, there is still an empty space provided in the electronic form that is designated for students and others to sign off during the exit interview.
5. "Is there a method for sharing this form to others or saving it for my own records?" Yes, you are able to copy the URL of the Printable Version of the submitted form and paste it into an email or into any other document for later use. To share these results with others, follow these steps before submitting this Competency Appraisal:
Click on Submit Form
Click on Printable Version in the upper corner of the resulting page
Highlight and Copy the URL (web address at the top of the page)
Paste URL into an email to your supervisee.