Learning Behavior Specialist Program
This page is designed to provide students, faculty, adjuncts, and supervisors in the Special Education Teacher Preparation program with the necessary forms, applications, evaluation tools and handbooks. Click here to read Learning Behavior Specialist I (LBS I) Approval/Endorsement Information
- SPE MAT Student Teaching Checklist & Application
- SPE MED Student Teaching Checklist & Application
- SPE CAS Student Teaching Checklist & Application
- General Requirements for Student Teaching Special Education program
- SPE Student Teaching Handbook
- SPE Observation Form
- Competency Appraisals Overview
- Traditional Licensure Competency Appraisal
- Alternative Licensure Competency Appraisal
- Lesson Plan Assignment (Directions for both students and faculty)
- Impact on Student Learning Assignment (Directions for both students and faculty)
- Remediation Plan
- Observation Request Form/Letter
- Teacher Education Program Checklist (Criminal Background Check, TB Tests and Mandated Reporting)
• Students planning to complete Practicum and/or Student Teaching in Chicago
Public Schools must register online. The Field Experience Registration Guide can
be accessed at: http://www.cpsstudentteachprogram.com/
- Student Teaching/ Field Experience Application Deadlines
- Highly Qualified Requirements for all Candidates
For Supervisors/ University Mentors
As of September 2013, the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) has stopped processing paper requests for licensure, endorsement and approvals. These are now done electronically through the ISBE ELIS database.
Applying for the LBS I endorsement
If you have completed the four-course sequence through NLU to add an LBSI endorsement to your current license, you may submit the 73-52 paper application or request via your NLU Portal account & the NLU Credentials Office will initiate the process for you. You may also apply directly through ISBE.
If you have completed only three of the four courses in the sequence through NLU to add an LBSI endorsement to your current License, you may only apply through ISBE. Directions follow:
- After completing all SPE courses, Order NLU transcripts to be sent directly to ISBE. E-transcripts can be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or the Springfield mailing address.
- Log into your Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) account
- Select “Apply for Licensure, Endorsement or Approval”
- Request the Special Education, LBS I endorsement & complete the online application, paying the application fee.
The request for evaluation will be automatically sent to ISBE. You will not receive an updated license or notification directly from ISBE, instead, the credential will be automatically added to your license. Please allow six-to-eight weeks for completion of the evaluation and then log in to ELIS and check to see that it has been added. Any deficiency information will be e-mailed to the e-mail address on file with ISBE