Technology in Education
What is a "Benchmark Assignment"?
A "benchmark assignment" is a major assignment completed as part of the TIE program that demonstrates a student's attainment of certain competencies required by the ISTE Technology Facilitator and Illinois Technology Specialist standards.
Benchmark assignments must be included in every student's final portfolio, produced in TIE 592.
Courses that have Benchmark Assignments
Note: There are 8 benchmark assignments including the final portfolio. Detailed descriptions and rubrics for evaluating the assignments are available by clicking on the course number.
- TIE 532: Network Design Project — Develop a technical proposal, detailing a plan for the development and implementation of a new local area network, a new network segment, or a new network feature, appropriate for use in a school district.
- TIE 533: Databased Decision-Making Project — Analyze the use of productivity tools to evaluate artifacts and data for instructional decision making, and develop a prototype tool (e.g., spreadsheet, database) useful for decision-making in your instructional setting.
- TIE 535: Technology-Infused Curriculum Project — (1) Develop a unit of instruction using the selected model process and include all of the required elements and design and (2) implement Professional Development Experience based on your implemented unit.
- TIE 542: Web-based Inquiry Project — An individual or group project to create an instructional activity using the WebQuest format to manage student learning in a technology enhanced environment.
- TIE 544: Hypermedia Project — Creation of a substantive, interactive, computer-based hypermedia project relevant to curricular and student needs.
- TIE 575: Professional Development Project — Design a web site project for the school that will focus on the professional development needs of faculty.
- TIE 592: Portfolio Project — Develop an electronic portfolio demonstrating your knowledge, skills, and dispositions in relation to state and national standards for technology specialists/facilitators and performance outcomes outlined in the National College of Education conceptual framework.
- TIE 593: Technology Use Project — A comprehensive project focusing on how technology is currently being used in the school/district and then providing suggestions for the next steps.