Students enrolling in a teacher preparation program at NLU must take and pass the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP). Passing the TAP is required before you can be admitted into a teacher preparation program.
NLU offers intensive courses that serve as a targeted review of the skills necessary to pass. It’s highly recommended that you take all three courses if you are new to the TAP. Three courses are available, one for each TAP sub-area, which you can take individually or as a set: Math, Language Arts/Writing, and Reading Comprehension. Each course has three sessions total, one per week. Each session lasts three hours. If you register for all three courses, you will take nine hours a week.
Benefits of the TAP Courses
- Computer-based practice tests simulate the TAP test to assess the student’s progress throughout the course.
- Step-by-step instructions, guided practice, and additional resources and study material.
- Courses are aligned with NLU term starts to allow students time to take and pass the TAP before their program begins the next term.
- Students who take and pass all three TAP sub-area courses will be reimbursed the cost of taking the TAP test. Reimbursement will be provided for one testing attempt only, and requires proof of registration and payment with the independent testing center.
- Starting in April, TAP course fees can be applied as tuition credits when NLU receives their TAP test score and the student has completed all three TAP preparation courses. Tuition credits can be applied to any NLU course and cannot exceed fees paid for the preparation courses.
Course Registration & Schedule
The TAP course costs $37.67 per sub-area course, or $113.01 for all three. Beginning in April, the face-to-face course will cost $150/course, or $300 bundled, and the online will cost $100/course, or $200 bundled. View the NLU Course Schedule to find out when and where TAP courses are offered. Connect with an enrollment specialist to register for the courses or learn more. Call 888-658-8632 (option 1) or visit www.nl.edu/requestinfo.
Online Practice Tests
The Longsdale online course contains practice tests for the Reading, Language Arts, and Mathematics areas of the TAP. Contact Library & Learning Support to obtain the School Number and School Key needed to create an account. Call 800-443-5522 x 3374 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
TAP Resources Guide
This guide provides additional free materials to help you prepare for the Test of Academic Proficiency, including print materials, PDF, and MS Word packets relating to each TAP standard, as well as videos, practice tests, test-taking strategies, and much more.