Veterans are Welcome at NLU
You served your country, now let us serve you. National Louis University has a long-standing history of dedication to servicemen and women. NLU is proud to be a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity College Consortium (SOC), which recognizes NLU as a military-friendly school. We offer discounted tuition rates to all active-duty service personnel as well as veteran students and their spouses and dependents. We encourage all military and veteran prospective students to apply to NLU.
Yellow Ribbon Program
Part of NLU's commitment to our veteran students is our participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program. NLU is pleased to announce our participation for 2014-2015 will cover 100% of tuition charges beyond the $20,235.02 annual cap for an unlimited number of students. NLU’s financial contributions to the Yellow Ribbon Program enable eligible veterans to receive additional funds for their education without an additional charge to their GI Bill entitlement. The Yellow Ribbon Program is a voluntary agreement between National Louis University and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans who qualify for the maximum benefit rate under Chapter 33 can have additional funds contributed to their unmet tuition and fee charges when their tuition and fee charges exceed the amount payable under Chapter 33. The VA will match the amount that NLU contributes.
For veterans not covered by Yellow Ribbon, NLU offers a 15% tuition discount. Additionally, dependent children or spouses of veterans are also eligible for a 15% tuition discount. Active duty service members are eligible for a 25% tuition discount. Please note students are only eligible for one institutional resource per academic year. To apply for the tuition discount please fill out this form.
Which Veterans Benefits can I use at NLU?
Through the VA, National Louis administers education benefits to armed forces veterans and their families. NLU is proud to support VA programs that assist our servicemen and women in reaching their educational and professional goals.
The education benefits that can be used at NLU are listed below. For more information about VA education benefits click here.
- Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
- Reserve Education Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
- Vocational Rehabilitation – Veterans with Disabilities (Chapter 31)
- Yellow Ribbon Program
Am I Eligible?
You may be eligible for VA benefits, which are dependent upon your months of active duty service. To determine your level of coverage please begin by contacting an education specialist at a Department of Veterans Affairs regional office toll free at 888.442.4551 (888 GI BILL 1).
Applying for Veterans Benefits at National Louis
You can apply for veterans benefits directly through the VA by using the VONAPP online application system. Please print a copy of the completed form before submitting it online.
While applying for veterans benefits in VONAPP, the first step is to choose the right application form. Here are your different options:
- Option #1 – If you are applying for veterans benefits for the first time, then complete VA Form 22-1990, dependents use VA Form 22-5490.
- OR -
- Option #2 – If you have already received veterans education benefits at any other college or university, then complete VA Form 22-1995, dependents us VA form 22-5495.
What Else Do I Need to Do to Use Veterans Benefits at NLU?
- Please provide a copy of your DD-214 (Report of Separation).
- After the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) has received and processed your application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by mail. Your COE will indicate the Chapter of Educational benefits for which you are eligible, your student file number, the number of months of entitlement and the date on which the benefits expire. The VA requires NLU to retain a copy of your COE, so please forward a copy to NLU’s school certifying official after you receive it.
- Applying for financial aid can assist veterans in closing the financial gap between veterans benefits and cost of attendance. We strongly encourage students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is an application for state and federal funding. NLU’s school code is 001733. Even if you are covered at the 100% level by the VA, you can still apply for Federal Student Aid.
Military Transfer of Credit
NLU recognizes that members of the United States Armed Forces may have had significant learning experiences during the course of their military experience. NLU accepts credit recommendations for military experience and training according to the guidelines established by the American Council on Education (ACE). If you are using VA education benefits at NLU, the VA requires NLU to evaluate all prior training for college credit. Please follow the steps below for the evaluation and possible placement of military credit:
- Based on the branch of military served, submit the appropriate "institutional copy" of your transcript(s):
Active-Duty Military Students are Welcome at NLU
As part of our continued commitment to active-duty military students, National Louis University has signed the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding. This agreement confirms NLU’s pledge to serve active-duty military students.
Using Active-Duty Military Benefits at NLU
- Many active-duty military, reserve and National Guard students are eligible for Tuition Assistance (TA). Eligible students should contact their base or unit education office to obtain the necessary form. This document should then be forwarded to NLU’s school certifying official.
- Students who are eligibile for TA through the Army can obtain their TA forms using the website www.goarmyed.com. For instructions on how to request TA using GoArmyEd please click on this attachment: How to apply for Federal Tuition Assistance in GoArmyEd
- Active duty students who are eligible for both tuition assistance and VA education benefits in the same term should indicate on the TA form "Top-Up will be used." In addition, you will need to go to www.gibill.va.gov and fill out Form 22-1990 and indicate "Top-Up" in item 1A under the MGIB-Active Duty block. If you need tuition rate or account balance information to complete these forms, please contact NLU’s school certifying official for assistance.
Your VA Contact at National Louis
NLU's VA certifying official is here to assist you with the process of using your VA benefits. Please provide your school certifying official with a copy of your VA application for benefits, your DD-214 and your certificate of eligibility. Here is the contact information for the NLU VA certifying official:
VA Certifying Official
c/o Office of Student Finance
National Louis University
1000 Capitol Drive
Wheeling, IL 60090
Questions? Just Ask
We're here to help. Contact the school certifying official with any questions about veterans or active duty military benefits.
Student Veterans Association at NLU
National Louis University encourages and supports student run organizations. Click here for more information about this new organization at NLU.