For more than one hundred years, the National College of Education's mission has been excellence in teaching, scholarship, service and professional development. Recognizing the importance of life-long learning in a diverse, rapidly changing global society, NCE is committed to developing and empowering all learners.
Consistent with this mission, the faculty approved the following statement of goals for the college:
Goals for Teaching
- Model exemplary practices that create a supportive environment in which the social, emotional, cognitive and physical needs of students are met in order to ensure that they become responsible, capable citizens.
- Provide clinical sites in which undergraduate and graduate students have opportunities to observe exemplary teaching practices, implement and evaluate innovative ideas, and demonstrate their abilities as practitioner/scholar.
- Provide students with a knowledge base or pedagogy grounded in research on teaching and learning, enabling them to apply principles of child development, organize appropriate instruction and utilize a variety of instructional strategies.
- Ensure that students have a broad liberal education so they can increase their knowledge and express their intellectual abilities and skills in applying that knowledge.
- Foster the individual professional growth of experienced educators through collaborative exploration and development of the knowledge base and exemplary practices, and through clinical experience.
- Educate highly competent and humane professional personnel for leadership and service.
- Recruit and support faculty and a student body that possess knowledge and values that can be shared through collaborative educational experiences.
Goals for Scholarship
- Deepen students' understanding of their area of study through an awareness, appreciation and application of educational research.
- Promote scholarship and research in which students and faculty are involved in their own quest for knowledge—which, in turn, enhances their expertise.
- Support scholarly interaction, debate and research within the College and throughout the profession.
Goals of Service
- Make available a supportive educational environment in which the needs of students of all ages are met.
- Encourage pre-service and veteran educational professionals to become involved in, and assume leadership roles in, their respective places of employment, their communities and their professional organizations.
- Encourage and support faculty as leaders and agents of change in the field of education at local, state and federal levels.
- Nurture and support interaction and collaboration among educational professionals and faculty both on campus and in the field.
- In developing and implementing our mission and goals, the National College of Education provides a bridge between educational theory and practice. Thus, we have remained an institution which serves the needs of teachers, specialists and administrators, and through them, children.
NCE will be a college distinguished for its demonstration of academic excellence and innovative professional programming provided to a diverse audience of adult learners. We will ensure that our students consistently have an excellent academic experience. NCE will contribute to knowledge generation that helps create more equitable and effective schools and healthier communities. Our future will be built on a solid foundation of financial sustainability.