B.A. in Social Science
National Louis University's Bachelor of Arts in Social Science degree program provides a broad understanding of human and social behavior emphasizing the interdisciplinary perspectives of anthropology, economics, history, political science and sociology, combined with strong critical and analytical skills. Under the B.A. in Social Science degree program umbrella, NLU offers three tracks: a Preparation for Teaching Secondary Education track, a Comprehensive track and a Cohort track.
Choose NLU's social science bachelor's degree if you:
- Are interested in learning a range of complex problem solving skills
- Are looking for a flexible, accommodating degree program schedule
- Want to understand people and social institutions in today’s society
- Are interested in teaching secondary education in Social Science
- How social behavior and organization affect individuals, groups and societies
- The importance of interconnections between knowledge, people and cultures in a global context
- How to apply theoretical, methodological and analytical skills.
- Why an examination of approaches could contribute to more equitable experiences for local communities.
- How to provide appropriate experiences in social science for all students (teaching track)
- How to teach high school students while taking into account their unique learning styles (teaching track)
Plus, students complete two independent study projects that provide an opportunity to research topics of interest, integrate course concepts and skills, and refine written and oral presentation techniques.
NLU recognizes many students are balancing work and family while in school, so courses are scheduled to accommodate those important commitments. With a small class size model that provides students with a support network for study and professional development, students in NLU’s Bachelor of Arts in Social Science can count on a personalized education.
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-2011 Edition, employment for teachers is projected to grow about 13 percent between 2008 and 2018. Many job openings will continue to result from the need to replace the large number of teachers expected to retire during this same period. Currently, our country’s education schools don’t graduate an adequate number of qualified teachers to meet the demand, and job prospects are best in areas including urban and rural school districts.
NLU has excellent placement rates for our education students, helping them find opportunities through the university’s Office of Career Services. NLU students are recognized by school principals as teachers who are comfortable in the classroom and work in collaboration with their colleagues.
Comprehensive, Cohort Tracks
At National Louis University, our Bachelor of Arts in Social Science program doesn't lock you into a specific career. Your opportunities will be broad because members of our expert faculty encourage flexibility. The social science degree program focuses on understanding society and social institutions and on how this understanding informs our knowledge of human behavior and the improvement of lives. It is excellent preparation for a challenging career as well as for law or graduate school.
Graduates of the Social Science program often enter careers in a broad range of organizations that work with the public including:
- Social and community service organizations
- Criminal justice and law enforcement
- federal, state and local government
- Public administration
- Foreign service
- Human resource management
- International agencies and businesses
- Educational institutions
Students interested in social and human services typically have a strong desire to help improve lives—by working directly with people or by implementing community or government policies. At National Louis University (NLU), we embrace your desire to make your dreams a reality and make a difference in the world. NLU’s Social Science faculty are committed to developing in students the ability to critically analyze and synthesize ideas into a broad interdisciplinary world view. The multicultural and global perspectives offered by our Social Science program prepare you for success in today’s global society.
A minor in Sociology and Anthropology (30QH), or concentration in Aging Studies (15QH) or Urban and Policy Studies (15QH) are also available. These programs can enhance and add an additional dimension to your degree.
All applicants must meet NLU's general admission requirements as well as additional requirements specific to this program. Refer to the appropriate application checklist available online at nl.edu/applyonline.
Get more information today about enrolling in NLU's Bachelor of Arts in Social Science degree program. Connect with an Enrollment Specialist or call 888.NLU.TODAY (888-658-8632).