National Louis University offers a broad range of options for students looking to add expertise beyond their degree and expand their career opportunities through education and teaching endorsements.
Non-degree endorsement offerings
Earn an education endorsement at NLU as a stand-alone series of courses. NLU's endorsements are designed to mirror teacher shortage areas and meet the needs of educators at various stages of their careers.
Choose from the following endorsement options:
- Bilingual Education Endorsement
- Director of Special Education Endorsement
- Early Childhood Special Education Approval
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsement
- LBS I Endorsement
- Reading Teacher Endorsement
- School Counselor Endorsement
- Teacher Leader Endorsement (with 13 semester hours of Teacher Leader Major Required Courses)
Students are not required to be admitted to NLU if earning the endorsement independently of a degree program or certificate.
Subsequent Teaching Endorsements
A subsequent teaching endorsement is a permanent addition to a PEL that permits a practicing teacher, administrator or school service professional to work in an additional content area. Subsequent teaching endorsement courses are graduate-level work that require a bachelor's degree.
Add an endorsement to your Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL)*.
- Secondary Education Subsequent Teaching Endorsement
- Elementary Education Subsequent Teaching Endorsement
- Early Childhood Education Subsequent Teaching Endorsement
- Special Education Subsequent Teaching Endorsement
Teaching Endorsements Plus Graduate Level Credentials
Earn a teaching endorsements as part of the following degree programs.
- Administration and Supervision Graduate Degree (M.Ed. and Ed.S.) (Principal)
- Reading Education Graduate Degrees (M.Ed.)
- Special Education Graduate Degrees (M.Ed.)
- Master's in Counseling - School Counselor concentration (M.S.)
- Master's with Specialized (Teaching) Endorsements (M.Ed.)—Unique program that allows you to earn two in-demand endorsements while earning a high quality master’s degree. Choose from LBS I, ESL, ESL/Bilingual, Reading, Middle level math and Early Childhood Special Education Approval.
- Master’s in Learning Technologies (M.Ed.)
- Master's in Teaching, Learning and Assessment with Teacher Leader major (M.Ed.)
- Education Specialist in School Psychology (Ed.S.)
- Doctorate in Educational Leadership (Ed.D.) (Superintendent)
- Doctorate in School Psychology (Ed.D.) (School Pyschologist)
Application rules and requirements vary for each program at NLU. Contact an enrollment specialist to receive program and registration information.