Education and Teaching Endorsement Offerings
National Louis University offers a broad range of options for students looking to add expertise beyond their degree and expand their career opportunities through education and teaching endorsements.
Education Endorsement Offerings
NLU offers coursework that may lead to endorsements on the Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL)*. An education endorsement is a permanent addition to a PEL that permits a practicing teacher, administrator or school service professional to work in an additional content area. Please note that you must have at least a bachelor's degree to take graduate-level work.
Students may earn education and teaching endorsements as part of the following graduate, certificate, advanced study and doctoral programs:
- Administration and Supervision Graduate Degree (M.Ed. and C.A.S.) (Principal)
- Master's in School Counseling (M.S.)
- Doctorate in Educational Leadership (Ed.D.) (Superintendent)
- Reading Education Graduate Degrees (M.Ed. and C.A.S.)
- Education Specialist Degree in School Psychology (Ed.S.)
- Doctoral Degree in School Psychology (Ed.D.)
- Graduate Degrees in Special Education (M.Ed. and C.A.S.)
- Master of Education - Specialized Endorsements (M.Ed.) (LBS I, Reading Teacher, Bilingual/ESL)
- Master's in Technology in Education (M.Ed and M.S.Ed.)
The below endorsements can be earned as a stand-alone series of courses at NLU or as additions to a degree program:
- Bilingual Education Endorsement
- Director of Special Education Endorsement
- Early Childhood Special Education Endorsement
- English as a Second Language Endorsement
- LBS I Endorsement
- LBS II Endorsement
- Library Information Specialist Endorsement
- Reading Teacher Endorsement
- School Counselor Endorsement
Additional endorsements, similar to the old subsequent certifications, are also available as stand-alone programs for the following levels:
- Early Childhood Education Endorsement
- Elementary Education Endorsement
- Secondary Education Endorsement
- Special Education Endorsement
- Superintendent Endorsement
Application rules and requirements vary for each program at NLU. Contact an enrollment specialist at 888.NLU.TODAY (658.8632) or online to receive program and registration information.
*Please note: The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) may change the state licensure and endorsement requirements at any time and without prior notice. Teacher candidates will be bound by the requirements in place when applying for licensure, not by the licensure requirements in place when beginning their program. That is, the state may specify that a new regulation is immediately applicable to all candidates with no provisions made for candidates who began their work on licensure under different regulations.