Camille Blachowicz, PhD
The Reading Leadership Institute
Areas of Expertise:
Professional Development in Literacy
Assessment and Diagnosis of Reading Development
Camille Blachowicz, Ph.D. is Professor Emeritus at the National College of Education of National Louis University. Currently she is Co-Principal Investigator of the Multifaceted Comprehensive Vocabulary Instruction Program. She is also co-director of The Reading Leadership Institute, a professional learning network of literacy staff developers housed at National Louis University. She has researched, written and presented extensively on the topic of vocabulary instruction which is the subject of three of her books including Teaching Vocabulary in All Classrooms and Teaching Academic Vocabulary K-8:Effective Practices Across the Curriculum.
Camille Blachowicz began her career as a classroom teacher and a reading specialist. As a university professor she directed the Reading Program, was chair of the Department of Reading and Language and was a Fulbright and Spencer Fellow and as well as co-editor of the Journal of Reading Behavior. Dr. Blachowicz has been a board member of the Literacy Research Association and continues to serve on many committees, boards, and commissions for professional organization and state and federal groups.
Dr. Blachowicz was named to the roster of Outstanding Teacher Educators in Reading by the International Reading Association and is a member of the Reading Hall of Fame.
Ph.D. Northwestern University, Reading Education
M. Ed. Northeastern Illinois University, Reading and Language
B.S. (Honors) Loyola University, Chicago, English
Research and Interests:
- Research Into Practice: Whatâ€™s New in Language Arts Research? Looking Inside The Handbook of Research on Teaching of the Language Arts, Vol.3.- Vocabulary With Fisher, P. and Watts-Taffe, S. Paper presented at Annual Conference of the International Reading Association, San Antonio, Texas. April 21, 2013.
- Teachers meet (and exceed!) the vocabulary challenges of the common core state standards: Celebrating teacher tested strategies. With Bates, A. & Cieply, C. Paper presented at Annual Conference of the International Reading Association, San Antonio, Texas. April 20, 2013.
- Institute: Vocabulary instruction that makes a difference: Meeting standards and beyond with the Multifaceted Comprehensive Vocabulary Instruction Program Grades 4- 9., Baumann, J., Manyak, P. Graves, M. Arner, J. , Bates, A., Cieply,C., Peterson, H. , Davis,J., Starenko, J. Gillis, K., Morales,V., Watson, H., Wade, B., O'Farrell, J.; Institute presented at Annual Conference of the International \Reading Association, San Antonio, Texas. April 19, 2013
- Blachowicz, C., Fisher, P., Ogle, D. & Watts-Taffe, S. (2013) Teaching Academic Vocabulary K-8: Effective Practices across the Curriculum. New York: Guilford Press.
- Barr, R. Blachowicz, C., Bates, A., Katz, C & Kaufman, B. (2013).Reading Diagnosis for Teachers: An Instructional Approach, 6/E. Boston: Pearson-Allyn & Bacon
- Rasinski, T, Blachowicz, C. L. Z., & Lems, K. (Eds.). (2012). Fluency Instruction:Research-Based Best Practices (2nd ed.). New York: The Guilford Press
- Blachowicz, C., & Fisher, P. (2010). Teaching Vocabulary in All Classrooms. 4th Ed. Columbus, OH: Merrill-Prentice Hall.
- Blachowicz, C.L.Z. & Baumann, J.A. (2012). Vocabulary Standards For Grades 3- 5:Connecting the Common Core State Standards to Evidence-Based Instruction. In Morrow, L.M., Shanahan, T and Wixson, K.K. Eds). Connecting Literacy Instruction to the Common Core School Standards. New York: Guilford Press.