National Louis University professors are here for a reason. They believe in our historic mission: to serve the community by providing a superior education for career-focused college students and working adults. They are authors, researchers, Fulbright scholars, business professionals, world travelers and renowned experts. But above all, they are here for you, to be your teacher, mentor, guide and support as you earn your degree and open the next chapter of your career and your life.
NLU faculty are a dynamic group who not only teach but also conduct research and serve the university and its communities. Below are a few of the outstanding professors who have chosen to research and teach at National Louis University .
For additional information about our faculty and their work, please visit:
NLU Faculty Awards and Achievements
Camille Blachowicz (NCE, Reading and Language, Emeritus)
- Co-author of many books on reading, including Reading Diagnosis: An Instructional Approach, Teaching Vocabulary in All Classrooms, Reading Comprehension: Strategies for Independent Learners, Reading Street, Fluency Development: From Research to Practice, and the chapter on vocabulary research for the third Handbook of Reading Research
Arlene Borthwick (NCE, Technology in Education)
- Accomplished scholar in the field of technology-enabled teaching and learning in the classroom, including using Palm handheld computers to teach math skills to third-graders
Tim Collins (NCE, Secondary Education)
- Fulbright Scholar to Taiwan for 2006-07; to work with Teacher Professional Development Center of the Ministry of Education
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Award in EFL/Linguistics
Diane German (NCE, Special Education)
- Recognized authority on diagnosing and treating language and learning disabilities through word retention methods
Catherine Honig (CPSA, Industrial/Organizational Psychology)
- Delivered a presentation (along with Jean Mandernach, Grand Canyon University, and Sherri Restauri Carson, University of Alabama-Huntsville, entitled MERLOT Psychology Collection: An Exploration of Exceptional Online Learning Resources for 2012 at the Sloan-C/MERLOT Fifth International Symposium on Annual Emerging Technologies for Online Learning. Their presentation was nominated for a Sloan-C Effective Practices Award. Honig, who serves as editor of the MERLOT Psychology Editorial Board was asked to serve as track chair for the 2013 conference.
Art Hyde (NCE, Secondary Education)
- Co-author (with Marilyn Bizar) of Methods that Matter: Six Structures for Best Practice Classrooms and Best Practice, Third Edition: Today's Standards for Teaching and Learning in America's Schools
Kristin Lems (NCE, ESL/Bilingual Education)
- Co-Director, ESL STEM Success Grant (U.S. Dpt. of Ed, Office of English Language Acquisition)
- Recently conducted professional development for English faculty at the National University of Mongolia as part of a Fulbright Senior Specialist Award.
Christina Nolan (CPSA, School Counseling)
- Honored by the Illinois School Counselor Association (ISCA) as School Counselor Educator of the Year, 2012
Teri Talan (NCE, Early Childhood Education)
- Nationally recognized expert of early childhood education administration and an advocate for increased public funding for pre-K programs
- Expert witness to Illinois State Board of Education on early childhood issues