M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements
National Louis University offers a unique opportunity for practicing teachers to obtain a master’s degree while gaining specializations in designated teacher shortage areas as they progress through their program. Candidates choose endorsement preparation from two of six areas: ESL, ESL/Bilingual Education, Early Childhood Special Education, Reading, Special Education and Middle Level Mathematics. This innovative new program allows you to enhance your employability via graduate-level studies that prepare you to impact schools and student learning outcomes.
NLU prepares you to earn multiple endorsements while getting your Master of Education. Choose 2 from the following:
- ESL endorsement (on campus or online)
- ESL/Bilingual Education endorsement (on campus or online)
- Early Childhood Special Education (online only)
- Special Education (on campus or online)
- Reading endorsement * (on campus or online)
- Middle Level Mathematics* (on campus or online)
*Online courses for the Reading Endorsement available Winter 2015 and Spring 2015 for Middle Level Mathematics.
Consider getting a specialized endorsements master's degree at NLU if you:
- Want to earn endorsements in two of six in-demand areas:
- ESL/Bilingual Education
- Early Childhood Special Education (online only)
- Middle Level Mathematics*
- Special Education
- Want to improve learning outcomes in your school
- Seek a professional learning experience to develop work-related knowledge and skills
- Wish to increase your employability by expanding your expertise with multiple endorsements in addition to the overall credibility of a high quality master’s degree
- Are looking for a unique program to help you stand out from others in the job market with a general master’s degrees
Why Earn Your Specialized Teaching Endorsements Master's Degree?
Since 1886, NLU has been the “educator of educators,” preparing thousands of Chicago-area teachers and graduating the most Golden Apple award winners in Illinois. Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), NLU continues to be the innovator in teacher education in Chicagoland through programs like the M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements, which features:
- Master’s level training — Unlike traditional endorsement programs, candidates analyze school data and design school improvement projects on the way to achieving their master’s.
- Classroom impact — Candidates get the training needed to help fill in-demand areas, boost student performance and improve their school’s report card.
- Proven faculty — Instructors are immersed in the education field and driven by improving classroom outcomes.
- Double Endorsements — No other master’s program in the area allows teachers to earn two endorsements during one course of study.
What You Will Learn
- Deeper skills — Candidates enjoy professional development from a full master’s program, enabling them to make an impact on student learning outcomes and overall school performance.
- Real-world applications — Faculty-directed field activities show candidates how to apply what they’ve studied to learning environments.
- Integrated approach — The program’s capstone project helps candidates bring together everything they’ve learned in an effective approach to the classroom.
- In-demand specializations — Candidates earn endorsements in two teacher shortage areas of education today.
- Career development — Throughout their studies, candidates have access to online career development resources, assessments and exercises, to help them move closer to securing a position as an Advanced Placement Teacher, Master Teacher or Teacher Leader.
Earn Your Teaching Endorsements Master's Degree Completely Online
NLU offers an online course of study in all six endorsements so that you can earn your Master’s and two endorsements completely online.+
+ Online courses for the Reading Endorsement available Winter 2015 and Spring 2015 for Middle Level Mathematics.
Two of the six endorsement areas — Special Education and Bilingual Education — offered in the M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements program have been cited by the Illinois State Board of Education and the U.S. Department of Education as having teacher shortages in Illinois. Graduates of the M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements will leave the program with a full master’s and up to three critical endorsements to match these in-demand areas and increase their employability.
Additionally, the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook has stated that career opportunities for special education teachers are expected to increase by 17 percent from 2008 to 2018 as many districts report problems finding adequate numbers of certified teachers.
Specialized Teaching Endorsements Master's Program Admissions Requirements
All applicants must meet NLU's general admission requirements as well as additional requirements specific to this program. Refer to the appropriate application checklist available online at nl.edu/applyonline.
Get more information today about enrolling in NLU's Master of Science in Human Resource and Development program. Talk to your Enrollment Specialist.