M.Ed. in Mathematics Education
National Louis University’s Mathematics Education graduate program helps PK-8 teachers enhance their math teaching skills so they can become teacher-leaders in their schools and districts.
Consider the master's in math education graduate program at NLU if you are:
- Interested in becoming a PK-8 math expert
- Seeking a math teaching endorsement
- Interested in working toward your middle school mathematics endorsement
- Looking for an affordable graduate program that meets just one night per week in your local area
Find out more about NLU's Master of Education degree programs >>
- Pedagogical content knowledge; understanding mathematics so you can explain it to students.
- How students think about mathematics including common misconceptions and challenges
- How to enhance mathematics learning through a problem-solving approach
- How to provide appropriate experiences in mathematics for all students
- How to contribute to school-wide decisions about the mathematics curriculum
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of elementary school teachers is expected to grow by 13 percent between 2008 and 2018, which is faster than the average for all occupations. Many school districts have difficulty hiring qualified teachers in subject areas such as mathematics and science, so teachers with master’s degrees in mathematics education should be in high demand, especially in inner cities and rural areas.
NLU has a long-standing reputation for its education training programs and is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Since 1886, we’ve trained thousands of educators and continue to graduate the majority of Illinois’ Golden Apple Award winners — one of the most prestigious teacher honors in the state.
Our faculty brings a wealth of practical experience and academic knowledge to the classroom, creating a unique depth to NLU’s master of education programs. With a reduced tuition, it’s an affordable way to get your master’s degree in math education.
All applicants must meet NLU's general admission requirements as well as additional requirements specific to this program. Refer to the appropriate application checklist available online at nl.edu/applyonline.
Get more information today about enrolling in in one of NLU's degree programs. Connect with an Enrollment Specialist or call 888.NLU.TODAY (888-658-8632).
Please note: The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) may change the state licensure and endorsement requirements at any time and without prior notice. Teacher candidates will be bound by the requirements in place when applying for licensure, not by the licensure requirements in place when beginning their program. That is, the state may specify that a new regulation is immediately applicable to all candidates with no provisions made for candidates who began their work on licensure under different regulations.