Ed.D. in Reading and Language/Ed.S. in Reading and Language
The doctoral program (Ed.D.) in reading and language is designed to prepare graduates for literacy leadership positions beyond K-12 settings, college teaching, or advanced clinical work. It is distinguished by a close blending of theoretical and practical courses and experiences so that graduates are to be prepared as professionals with the competence to make a difference in their jobs.
Consider getting your Ed.D. in Reading and Language at NLU if you:
- Want to teach at the college level
- Want to pursue a leadership role in education
- Are endorsed as a reading teacher or want to pursue the requirements for this endorsement
- Are interested in advanced clinical work
NLU also offers an educational specialist (Ed.S.) in reading and language designed to meet the needs of school leaders who wish to deepen their knowledge and expertise in literacy, but who do not wish to pursue a doctoral degree.
Why NLU for an Ed.D. in Reading and Language
NLU has a long-standing reputation for its education and teacher training programs, and is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Since 1886, NLU has trained thousands of educators and continue to graduate the majority of Illinois’ Golden Apple Award winners-one of the most prestigious teacher honors in the state.
Widely recognized and respected in the education community, National Louis University has a reputation of excellence for its graduate education programs. With award-winning faculty and curricula that inspire tomorrow's teachers and administrators, adult students learn from the best at NLU's National College of Education.
What You Will Learn
- In-depth knowledge of language development, early reading acquisition, reading comprehension, writing and staff development
- How to connect theories and research on language, cognition and learning to instruction
- How to communicate research results and data analysis
- How to provide assistance in the area of staff development
- How to design, implement and evaluate teaching practices in reading and language
- How to supervise and coordinate reading programs
NLU's Reading and Language program prepares graduates for literacy leadership positions beyond K-12 settings, college teaching or advanced clinical work.
All applicants must meet NLU’s general admission requirements as well as the requirements specific to the Ed.D. in Reading and Language degree program. Refer to the appropriate Application Checklist available online at www.nl.edu/applyonline.
Get more information today about enrolling in NLU’s Doctorate in Reading and Language program. Talk to your Enrollment Advisor or call 888.NLU.TODAY (888.658.8632).