Ed.D. In Teaching and Learning: Reading and Language
The Doctorate of Education in Teaching and Learning with Reading and Language Major is designed to prepare graduates for literacy leadership positions beyond K-12 classrooms to district leadership, college teaching, or advanced clinical supervision. It is distinguished by a close blending of theoretical and practical courses and experiences so that graduates are to be prepared as professionals with the competence to make a difference in their jobs.
Consider getting your Doctorate of Education in Teaching and Learning at National Louis University (NLU) if you:
- Want to teach at the college level
- Are endorsed as a reading teacher or want to pursue the requirements for this endorsement
- Want to pursue a leadership role in education
- Are interested in advanced clinical work
- Bring a passion to develop the scholarship necessary to serve as a leader, change agent, scholar and researcher
NLU also offers a reading specialist graduate degree (Ed.S. in Reading and Language) designed to meet the needs of school leaders who wish to deepen their knowledge and expertise in literacy, but who do not wish to pursue a doctorate in reading education.
Learn more about NLU's Reading and Language department >>
- In-depth knowledge of language development, early reading acquisition, reading comprehension, writing and staff development
- How to connect theories and research on language, cognition and learning to instruction
- How to communicate research results and data analysis
- How to provide assistance in the area of staff development
- How to design, implement and evaluate teaching practices in reading and language
- How to supervise and coordinate reading programs
NLU’s program prepares graduates for literacy leadership positions beyond K-12 settings, college teaching or advanced clinical work.
NLU has a long-standing reputation for the excellence of its education and teacher training programs, and is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Since 1886, NLU has trained thousands of educators and continues to graduate the majority of winners of Illinois’ Golden Apple Award — one of the most prestigious teacher honors in the state.
The people behind National Louis University’s success are its inspiring, widely-respected faculty members. They have earned numerous distinctions, including terminal degrees from premier institutions such as Harvard and Northwestern Universities. Their professional activities include presenting research locally at the Illinois Reading Council and the Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages-Bilingual Education Conference; nationally at the International Reading Association, the National Council of Teachers of English and the Literacy Research Council, as well as internationally at conferences in Europe, Asia, South America, Central America and Mexico. In addition, the quality of their research has been acclaimed through many awards.
All applicants must meet NLU's general admission requirements as well as additional requirements specific to this program. Refer to the appropriate application checklist available online at nl.edu/applyonline.
Get more information today about enrolling in in one of NLU's degree programs. Connect with an Enrollment Specialist or call 888.NLU.TODAY (888-658-8632).