Click a Link Below for Instructions on a Topic:
- Common Questions
- Student Registration
- Your Livetext Homepage
- Creating a New Document (Portfolio Example)
- Adding to Your Portfolio
- Inserting Pictures
- Inserting a New Section (*this is a movie link)
- Submitting Your Portfolio for Review by Your Program
- Sending/Submitting Your Portfolio for Review by Your Instructor
- Viewing Comments from Reviewers
- Revising and Resending Your Reviewed Document
- Creating a Visitor Pass
- Learn 360 Videos
- Students can find the "Institution Provided PIN" on the NLU Portal un the section called Personal Information
- If a student doesn’t not know their username and password, they can visit Livetext.com and click on “Forgot?” in the upper right hand corner.
- If a student has an account from another university, the student needs to send an email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866-548-3839 to have them change it to NLU free of charge.
- Students can be directed to NLU’s Portfolio Web site: http://www.nl.edu/portfolios
- NLU pay $88 for a 5-year subscription via their personal credit card. The site is secure.
1. You will need your school provided  email address,  NLU ID number and  LiveText PIN number when registering for LiveText. They are located in the Personal Information section of the opening screen when you log into your NLU Portal at http://my.nl.edu
2. Go to http://www.livetext.com
3. Click the “Purchase/Register” button.
4. Click on “Purchase Membership”
5. Choose the Standard Edition cost for $98. You will receive a $10 discount when the final purchase is complete. You may choose the Learn360 Edition which gives you access to thousands of multimedia video resources -- a $10 discount will be applied to the final purchase when complete. You can always choose the Learn 360 membership later for a cost of $30.00.
6. You will see a window with the service package you have chosen. Click on the next button to continue.
7. Fill in the information requested for the Step 2: Personal Information window. You will need your email address, NLU ID number, and LiveText pin number.
8. When finished filling in your personal information click on the next button and fill in your billing information. Choose the next button and follow the steps to confirm your order.
9. Students without a credit card may now call LiveText and conveniently pay by check over the phone. Call LiveText accounting at 708.588.1735 (or 866-LIVETEXT) Monday-Friday 9:00-9:00.
10. You will be asked to create a username and password. Record both your user name and password and keep them in a safe place. Please note that your username and password are Case Sensitive.
11. You will automatically be taken to your LiveText home page after completing the registration process.
12. For future access, go back to http://www.LiveText.com and login with your username and password.
1. Dashboard – this tab automatically is shown when you log in. It contains your active documents and reviews.
2. Courses – this tab shows your current courses that you are enrolled in. [If they are not shown you need to click the “View Other Terms” link in the right corner. Select your current term, and click the “View Selected Term” button. Go back to your Courses tab and your courses should be listed.] Did you enter your LiveText pin number and NLU student ID number into your account information? Sometimes your course tab will not appear because you have not entered your NLU student ID number or LiveText pin number when you registered or you have entered an incorrect number. Look in “My Account” to see if your pin has been entered correctly. If it is not go back to your NLU portal to get your pin and re-enter it in your account information.
3. Documents – is another place to view your active documents.
4. Reviews – This is where you can see the reviews of your documents that have been submitted to your programs and those that have been returned to you. In the “Inbox” you will see the documents that have been reviewed and returned to you. To see what documents you have sent for review, select the “Sent” tab underneath “Reviews”.
5. Forms - you can look for online surveys here.
6. Community – this is not a commonly used tab, appears to share documents from others, great LiveText FAQ’s created by students… It also has a discussion board for those instructors who wish to use this feature with their classes.
7. Tools – This is where you create your visitor passes. The visitor passes tool allows you to set up a password for other non-LiveText users to use, and to see your portfolio. It is perfect for the job-hunting process! (See Creating a Visitor Pass for additional information). You can also search for standards and outcomes by clicking on the “Standards and Outcomes” tab. There is also a “File Manager” tab that shows you all of the documents and images that you have uploaded to your LiveText account. In this section you can rename your files or download them to your computer.
8. My Account – to adjust your account information click on “My Account” located in the upper right hand corner. Sometimes your courses or NLU portfolio documents will not appear because you have entered an incorrect pin. Look in your account info to see if your pin has been entered correctly. If not, go back to your NLU portal to get your pin and re-enter it in your account info.
(The process is the same for all document types. This example creates a portfolio).
1. On your opening Dashboard page, click on the “New Document” tab – or when in the Documents tab, click on the “New” tab.
2. A new window called “Create a Document” will open. Next to “Folder” choose Portfolios” from the National-Louis University list
3. Select your program area template. You will need to ask your instructor which template your cohort is using. For example:
a. Elementary Education MAT Pilot Portfolio, 2009
b. Secondary Education Portfolio Template for Secondary Education students
c. Educational Leadership: EDL Principal Portfolio v.2008 for students planning on becoming principals
4. Enter Title and Description – select a tile for your portfolio which includes your name and the name of your program. IF you know your cohort number, such as WH009, please enter this at the beginning of the title. For example if your name is Terry Jones, you would type WH009 Terry Jones’ Portfolio. If you wish you may enter a description of your document, but it is not required.
5. For Secondary Education program students, please enter title for your portfolio with <cluster number> <content area> <your name> <Portfolio> Using the above format the title of a portfolio for John Smith studying English would be CH023 Eng John Smith’s Portfolio. You do not need to type into the Description. The following are Abbreviations for "content area":
- Bio [Biology]
- Phy [Physical science]
- Clang [Classical language]
- Eng [English]
- FLang [Foreign Language]
- Mth [Math]
- PhyS [Physical Science]
- SoSt [Social Studies]
6. Next to “Layout” change to Multiple Page in the drop down menu. You can leave the style as the “Default-Right Table of Contents”.
7. Click “Save as New Document” button.
*PLEASE NOTE: You only need to follow these steps once because you shall only need one portfolio. Think of this as an ever-changing document that you will add new documents to with each class you take. By the end of the program you are taking, you will have one portfolio that is a compilation of the many class requirements.
There are three basic ways to build your portfolio (or any other document) in LiveText:
1. On the main page click on the name of the document you would like to edit.
2. Click on the specific page you wish to "edit" in your document (found in the menu at the right side of the screen).
3. In the upper right part of the document you want to edit there is an “Edit” button, click "edit".
4. An edit window will open. When you type into the text box, you are using the LiveText HTML Editor. LiveText will convert what you type into HTML code so it can be viewed on your Portfolio webpages.
5. To determine icon actions, place your mouse over an icon button. The name of the action will appear. NOTE: The editor works much like a simple word processor; however, it is important to remember that it is an HTML editor, not a sophisticated word processor.
6. If you are typing a long passage, click the Save button periodically to protect against computer or network crashes.
7. When finished, click "Save and Finish" (in the upper right) to return to View mode.
- Make sure to create the file using a software package that is accessible to a wide variety of users, such as Microsoft Word.
- If using a different program, try saving your file as a Rich Text File (.rtf). Most people will have a computer program that can view these file types but there may be some changes to the formatting of the original document. If problems persist, you may consider also saving as Text or into PDF format.
- To save as a Rich Text File, in your file choose "Save As" and for "Save as type" choose "Rich Text File".
- To save as a Text File, in your file choose "Save As" and for "Save as type" choose "Text File".
- To save as PDF, follow this link www.pdfonline.com and complete the three steps required to make the conversion. On Macintosh, simply Print but choose "Save as PDF".
1. On your computer, create or update and save the file you would like to attach.
2. On the main page click on the name of the document you would like to edit.
3. Click on the specific page you wish to edit in your document (found in the menu at the right side of the screen).
4. In the upper right part of the document you want to edit there is an “edit” button, click "edit".
5. An edit window will open.
6. Remove any text that might be in the text box. Type something in the text box that will direct people viewing your portfolio to your attachment. If you are attaching a resume, you might type, "Please click the attachment link below in order to see my resume."
7. Click on the File Attachment tab.
8. Click the “Upload New File” button. Then click the "Browse" button.
9. Select the file you wish to attach. This is much like the process for attaching files to an e-mail.
10. After browsing for your file, click "Upload File", wait for the file to upload, then click "Save and Finish".
11. REPEAT THIS PROCESS TO ATTACH ADDITIONAL FILES TO YOUR PORTFOLIO
- Highly formatted documents such as resumes, table of contents, and unit/lesson plans do not copy and paste well into LiveText, as is true of many other programs.
- It is best to attach these files rather than copy and paste them into LiveText.
1. On your computer, create or update and save the file you would like to attach.
2. Highlight all of the text in your file.
3. Select Edit in the upper menu and Copy.
4. On the main page click on the name of the document you would like to edit.
5. Click on the specific page you wish to edit (found in the menu at the right side of the screen).
6. In the upper right part of the document you want to edit there is an “edit” button, click "edit".
7. An edit window will open.
8. Remove any text in the text box. Make sure your cursor is in the text box.
9. Click the Paste icon button in the tools area above the text box. If you receive an error while attempting to Paste using the Paste Button, you can instead paste by placing your cursor in the text box and pressing Ctrl-V (hold down the Ctrl button and hit V). (or apple C and apple V on a Mac.)
10. Viola! You should see the file you just copied appear in the text box.
11. Click "Save and Finish" in the upper right. This will save your new changes and take you back to View Mode.
12. Check if everything appears how you would like it to.
13. REPEAT THIS PROCESS TO COPY AND PASTE ANY ADDITIONAL FILES INTO YOUR PORTFOLIO
1. On the main page click on the name of the document you would like to edit.
2. Click on the specific page you wish to add your image to [found in the menu at the right side of the screen].
3. In the upper right part of the document you want to edit there is an “Edit” button, click “Edit”.
4. An edit window will open.
5. Click the “Insert Image” tab.
6. Click the “Upload New Image” button, and click “Browse”.
7. Select the image file you wish to attach. This is much like the process of attaching files to a document or an email.
8. After browsing for your file, click “Upload File”; wait for the file to upload. If you want to add a caption, enter the text in the caption area and choose a type of display size and placement [how the image will be aligned with the rest of the text on your page]. If you want to change the display size, click on the drop down menu next to “Display Size” and choose original, small or thumbnail). Click “Save and Finish” in the upper right. This will save your new changes and take you back to document view mode.
Please Note: You can only have one image per document section. Pictures that have a high resolution will show up in LiveText very LARGE. You will need to change the display size as explained in #8 above. If your image is still too large, you will need to reduce the resolution of the picture using a photo-editing program or Web site, such as http://www.picnik.com If you use picknik, upload the picture file first, then “Save and Share”, give the file a new name (so it doesn’t replace your original), then lower the “JPG compression quality” by dragging the bar to the left. Then click "Save" and follow the directions above for inserting a picture.
- Open the portfolio you would like to submit for review.
- Click "Send for Review" in the upper left corner of your document -- a window will appear.
- In the Lookup Names window that appears, choose from the list below:
Which program are you submitting to?
Name of Livetext account to Submit for Review
Early Childhood Program
Elem Education BA
Elem Education MAT
Educational Leadership (EDL)
Reading and Language
*See "submitting assignment"
Special Education (DLT)
Technology in Education
- Once you see the program in the list below your select the program.
- Click on the appropriate name once.
- Then click "Submit for Review" to save your changes and go back to your portfolio
PLEASE NOTE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHARING AND SUBMITTING:
- Submit for Review - This allows your instructor to review your Livetext document and to assess it with a rubric. Students typically submit documents for review to their Program account (see stpe #3) or professor.
- Share - Sharing a document allows another LiveText user to see your document, but DOES NOT ALLOW YOUR INSTRUCTORS TO REVIEW.
(*Secondary Ed students should see "submitting assignments")
1. Open the portfolio you would like to submit for review.
2. Click "Send for Review" in the upper left corner of your document -- a window will appear.
3. Type your instructor's last name into the text box and the name will appear.
4. Once you have your instructor's name click "Submit for Review" and wait for the box to say "Submitting was successful."
5. Close the box and return to your home page.
* To make sure that you have shared:
1. Go to the Reviews tab.
2. Above the Reviews box click the “Sent” tab.
3. Under "Sent," tab look for the document that you sent. You should find the following information: the title of your document, name of person document was shared with, date sent.
4. (Disregard the date that appears since any recent changes you have made will be seen by your instructor anyway.)
5. If it did not appear, repeat the steps for sharing with your instructor.
1. Go the Reviews tab
2. Click the “Sent” tab.
3. Under "Sent" tab look for the document that you sent.
4. Refer to the legend to see if your document has been reviewed.
5. In order to see your "electronic history" of all reviews submitted by your instructors, click on the small plus sign next to your portfolio or document. This shows the exact dates of when you submitted and when a review was completed.
6. Click on the document that you want to open.
7. The sections with comments will be highlighted for you in the list on the right. Within the section your viewer’s comments will be highlighted for you.
8. If you see "View Assessment" at the top of this page, this indicates that your instructor has applied a rubric to your portfolio -- this, too, can be viewed by the student.
1. After you have received comments from your instructor in the Reviews tab in Livetext, you need to return back to your original portfolio by clicking on the Documents tab.
2. Click on the title of the document or portfolio you wish to modify.
3. Edit your portfolio by following the directions above called Adding to Your Portfolio
4. Follow the directions for Sending/Submitting for Review once again
(to watch a narrated online video go to: http://www.screencast.com/t/ZThkYWEyNj )
1. Go to the Tools tab, and select the Visitor Passes tab. Click the New button under the Visitor Passes tab.
2. Make a title and description for your Visitor Pass, then click the Save button.
3. Your Visitor Pass will appear on the screen, but you need to make it available to your document. So click on the Documents tab and the select and open the document (portfolio) that you want to make available to the Visitor Pass.
4. Click on the Share button on the top of your document.
5. Click on the Advanced Sharing Options button and select the Visitors tab.
6. Select the Visitors Pass that you created. (Use the drop-down menu next to the caption, “Add from visitors”; you will see the title that you created in step 2.) Click the Add button next to it.
7. Go back to the Visitors Passes tab (under the Tools tab). Write down the alphanumeric code that appears in the Visitor’s Pass column. (This is the actual Visitor’s Pass, which you will give to other people so they can view your portfolio. No password is required.)
8. Then click the Save & Finish button.
9. Note: When someone comes to Visit your portfolio, they will need to use the login field in the blue box on the LiveText homepage. (However, if they use the regular login box, they will be given another opportunity to log in using a second login box.)
Available only for accounts that have paid for this feature
(to watch a narrated online video, go to http://www.screencast.com/t/f5dyCVwjYev2)
1. Notes: Learn360 is accessed from within a LiveText document (portfolio, lesson plan, etc.).
If you have not subscribed to Learn360, you may do so at any time by clicking on the My Account tab (in the upper right corner of the LiveText webpages).
2. In the Document tab, click on the name of the document to which you would like to add your video.
3. Click on the specific page to which you wish to add your video (found in the menu at the right side of the screen).
4. Links to Learn360 must be added to a Resources section. If you do not have a Resources section on the page where you wish to add a Learn360 video, you must Add A Section:
* Click the Manage Sections button. Then click the Create Section button and select Resources from the drop-down menu.
* Enter a Section title and click OK, then click the Save & Finish button. (You may need to use the menu to navigate back to the page you added the section to.)
* Your new Resources section should now be visible in the list of sections on your page.
5. In the upper right part of the Resources section you want to edit, click the Edit button.
There are three tabs that you can click on here: Add Personal Resource, Add LiveText Resource, Add Learn360® Video.
Click on the Learn360 tab, and click the Go to Learn360® button
6. You should be taken to the Learn360 webpage.
7. Type in a keyword to Search for the type of video you'd like, or browse by Subject and/or Grade level. There is also an Advanced Search feature..(It may be helpful to note the search parameters or keywords you have entered, so that you can easily return back to the same results later.)
9. Select a video to view. There are full videos and video clips (excerpted from full videos). Often there will be links to Related Videos.
10. There will be two buttons above the window in which the video plays: Add Video to LiveText and Return to LiveText. To add a video to your document, click the Add Video to LiveText button.
11. This will return you to LiveText, in your Resources section (in Edit mode). Here you can add a description of the video, then click Save to save the video to your LiveText document.
To add additional videos, click on the Add Learn360 tab again. (Unfortunately, you are not returned to the webpage where you left off. So you must retrace your steps to get back to the search results or video and related video links.)
12. When you have finished adding videos to this section, click on the Save & Finish button.
13. The title of your clip should now be listed under the proper section. When you click on the title of the clip, Learn360 will launch and you will be taken directly to that video.
Please remember that nothing substitutes for active use of the site. Everyone is encouraged to familiarize themselves with the various features by practicing with this Beginning Steps document. As with many software programs, individual practice is expected.
- Do you have a question you want to email us our NLU Livetext Portfolio support Team? email@example.com
- Do you want to talk to someone from our NLU Livetext Portfolio Support Team? Call and leave us a message at 312-261-3343. We check messages every Sun-Thurs at 6pm.
- Livetext also has extensive support:
- Help button on every screen
What Browser are You Using?
If you are not using one of the following browsers, click on the link below to download a new browser for free. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Netscape as they are more secure and compatible with the use of your electronic portfolio. It is free and easy to download your new browser.
Firefox: download it for free from...
Mac Users Please Note --> Safari works with Livetext except when editing text -- the edit tools will NOT appear. It is highly recommended that you use Firefox on your Mac to use the editing tools.