M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements
National Louis University offers a unique opportunity for practicing teachers to obtain a master’s degree while gaining in-demand specializations as they progress through their program. Candidates choose endorsement preparation from two of four areas: ESL, ESL/Bilingual Education, Reading and Special Education. This innovative new program allows you to enhance your employability via graduate-level studies that prepare you to impact schools and student learning outcomes.
Consider getting the Master of Education Specialized Endorsements Degree at NLU if you:
- Want to earn endorsements in two of four in-demand areas:
- ESL (on campus or online)
- ESL/Bilingual Education (on campus or online)
- Special Education (on campus or online)
- Want to better serve your students and enhance your school’s performance
- Seek a professional learning experience to develop work-related knowledge and skills
- Wish to increase your employability by expanding your expertise with multiple endorsements in addition to the overall credibility of a high quality master’s degree
- Are looking for a unique program to help you stand out from others in the job market with a general master’s degrees
Why NLU for Master of Education
Since 1886, NLU has been the "educator of educators," preparing thousands of Chicago-area teachers and graduating the most Golden Apple award winners in Illinois. Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), NLU continues to be the innovator in teacher education in Chicagoland through programs like the M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements, which features:
- Master’s level training — Unlike traditional endorsement programs, candidates are immersed in a full, intensive experience leading to a master’s.
- Classroom impact — Candidates get the training needed to help fill in-demand areas, boost student performance and improve their school’s report card.
- Proven faculty — Instructors are immersed in the education field and driven by improving classroom outcomes.
- Stackable credentials — No other master’s program in the area allows teachers to stack in-demand endorsements in one course of study.
What You Will Learn
- Deeper skills — Candidates enjoy professional development from a full master’s program, enabling them to make an impact on student learning outcomes and overall school performance.
- Real-world applications — Faculty-directed field activities and classroom observation show candidates how to apply what they’ve studied to learning environments.
- Integrated approach — The program’s capstone project helps candidates bring together everything they’ve learned in an effective approach to the classroom.
- In-demand specializations — Candidates earn endorsements in two high-need areas of education today.
- Career Development — Throughout their studies, candidates have access to online career resources, assessments and exercises, resume and cover letter builders, practice interviews, job search development and feedback from NLU’s Career Development office.
Earn Your M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements Completely Online
NLU offers a completely online course of study if you pursue endorsements in ESL, ESL/Bilingual and Special Education or a combination of online and on-campus classes if you pair one of these with Reading.
Two of the four endorsement areas — Special Education and Bilingual Education — offered in the M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements program have been cited by the Illinois State Board of Education and the U.S. Department of Education as having teacher shortages in Illinois. Graduates of the M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements will leave the program with a full master’s and up to three critical endorsements to match these in-demand areas and increase their employability.
Additionally, the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook has stated that career opportunities for special education teachers are expected to increase by 17 percent from 2008 to 2018 as many districts report problems finding adequate numbers of certified teachers.
All applicants must meet NLU’s general admission requirements as well as additional requirements specific to the M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements program. Refer to the appropriate application checklist available online at www.nl.edu/applyonline.
Get more information today about enrolling in NLU’s M.Ed. Specialized Endorsements program. Talk to your enrollment specialist or call 888.NLU.TODAY (888.658.8632).
Please note: The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) may change the state licensure and endorsement requirements at any time and without prior notice. Teacher candidates will be bound by the requirements in place when applying for licensure, not by the licensure requirements in place when beginning their program. That is, the state may specify that a new regulation is immediately applicable to all candidates with no provisions made for candidates who began their work on licensure under different regulations.