The College of Professional Studies and Advancement's mission is to provide current and aspiring professionals with the innovative and relevant education, hands-on experience, and personalized guidance necessary to advance their careers and to improve their own lives and the lives of others.
CPSA’s programs are aligned with the needs of employers to better prepare you for your career, and creates additional professional development and career opportunities for you as a graduate.
WHY attend CPSA?
The College of Professional Studies and Advancement offers a holistic, contemporary and leading edge academic and professional experience for our students with the following key student benefits:
Professionally current and relevant
- The CPSA curriculum is designed to meet employer demands as well as professional standards. To ensure this, CPSA researches needs through employer input and participation as well as professional organizations and associations.
- Adult students are the norm, not a minority or defined population at CPSA. Class schedules, services and even student life are developed with the benefit and needs of adult students. Online and blended coursework, as well as convenient campus locations make education accessible and convenient for students. Teaching methodology represents best practices for optimal adult learning, emphasizing discussion, experiences and a focus on real world application.
- CPSA leverages various real world applications to expose students to their professions. For students working in their fields, curriculum can be customized so students apply learnings in the context of their current jobs. Additionally, students have access to internships, field-based practical experiences or a progressive mentorship program giving students access to industry experts throughout their program as well as after graduation. An active Career Development department also assists students with employment while attending CPSA as well as post-graduation, with particular focus on the nuances of adult students.
- Full time faculty possess Doctoral degrees as well as vast industry experience. With nearly 50 percent of faculty working in the Chicago area professional community, NLU professors are relevant and diverse as well and cutting-edge.
- CPSA programs and curriculums inherently appeal to students interested in contributing to society – healthcare and human services as well as social and behavioral sciences. Compared to more traditional colleges CPSA’s business programs are more attractive to students interested giving back professionally in non-profit management and entrepreneurial careers that benefit society. A responsible mindset is imbedded in our culture and flows through to the classroom. CPSA students and faculty aren’t just motivated to achieve professionally, but also to inspire and give back to their respective communities.