M.S. in Human Resource Management and Development
The Master of Science in Human Resource Management and Development (HRMD) program gives human resource practitioners the leadership skills to help build organizations that maximize the effectiveness of human capital. From planning to hiring, retaining, and developing top talent, the HRMD program at NLU equips students to be experts in this essential foundation of successful organizations.
Professional Networking Event!
Attend a professional networking event. Connect with other professionals and learn how a graduate degree in business from NLU can help take your career to the next level.
Consider getting your M.S. in HR at NLU if you:
- Are ready to advance from a support or line role in human resources to a management position
- Need the knowledge base to stay up to date in the regulatory and legal framework for human resources
- Want to develop your communications skills to effectively influence and lead in human resources practices across an organization
- Seek to be a change agent who can advocate for the "people strengths" essential to making an organization great
- Want to earn your M.S. in Human Resource Management and Development degree in the Chicago-land area
Why NLU for a Master's in Human Resource Management and Development (HRMD)
NLU's M.S. in HR program offers a practical, applications-oriented curriculum that builds leadership skills and knowledge that managers can implement in real time in their working environments. Students' own professional environments and challenges provide case study contexts for class learning in addition to course materials that expose students to developing human resources trends and forces operating in organizations today.
Meeting in one intensive session per week over approximately 18 months, the program is tailored to meet the needs of busy adults juggling personal and professional commitments. Fellowship with classmate-colleagues is also promoted. Students in the HRMD graduate program generally stay with one group of classmates through the whole program, building a professional network and a deep understanding of comparative organizational environments from peers.
NLU's M.S. in HR is professionally accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
What You Will Learn
- Concepts, theories and practices of human resource management and development
- Technical skill sets for HR planning and forecasting, talent management, employee relations and the law, compensation and benefits, labor/management relations
- How to integrate HR knowledge and skills to impact organizational mission and effectiveness
- The opportunities and challenges presented by the regulatory and legal environment of business
- Critical thinking, leadership and problem solving skills
- Oral and written presentation skills
Employment in human resources management functions is projected to grow by 22 percent between 2008 and 2018, much faster than the average for all occupations, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Increasing government legislation and rising healthcare costs will increase demand for human resources, training, and labor relations experts to manage recruitment and benefits functions.
Graduates with an M.S. in HR are prepared to advance in a wide range of management positions including:
- Compensation manager
- Talent acquisition specialist/manager
- Director of training and development
- Director of benefits
- Director of labor-management relations
- Human resources generalist
HRMD Master's Program Requirements
The MS in HR curriculum appears below. It requires 9 courses and can be completed in 1-1.5 years. The College of Management and Business will review graduate hours completed at accredited institutions and may transfer up to a maximum of 9 hours of credit toward the Master of Science in Human Resource Management and Development.
All applicants must meet NLU’s general admission requirements as well as the requirements specific to the M.S. in Human Resources Management and Development degree program. Refer to the appropriate application checklist available online at www.nl.edu/applyonline.
Get more information today about enrolling in NLU’s Master of Science in Human Resource Management and Development program. Talk to your Enrollment Advisor or call 888.NLU.TODAY (888.658.8632).