M.S. in Health Services Administration (MHA)
The Master of Science in Health Services Administration (MHA) program prepares health professionals for advancement in administrative careers in healthcare organizations. This master's degree gives professionals the comprehensive planning, organizational, and regulation-responsive toolkit to manage within one of the nation’s fastest growing and most complex economic sectors.
Consider getting your MHA degree at NLU if you:
- Are ready to advance from a clinical or administrative role to a management position in a healthcare or related services organization
- Need the knowledge base to respond within the regulatory and legal framework governing healthcare organizations
- Want to develop your communications skills to effectively influence and lead across an organization
- Seek to understand the developing trends in health services to become and remain an expert in this fast-evolving sector
- Want to earn your MHA degree in the Chicago-land area
Why NLU for an MHA Degree
NLU's MHA degree program offers a practical, applications-oriented curriculum that builds leadership skills and knowledge that managers can implement in real time in their working environments. Students' own professional environments and challenges provide case study contexts for class learning in addition to course materials that expose students to developing human resources trends and forces operating in organizations today.
Meeting in one intensive session per week online, or on-campus, over approximately 18 months, the program is tailored to meet the needs of busy adults juggling personal and professional commitments. Fellowship with classmate-colleagues is also promoted. Master of Health Services Administration students generally stay with one group of classmates through the whole program, building a professional network and a deep understanding of comparative organizational environments from peers.
NLU's MHA degree program is professionally accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
What You Will Learn
- The opportunities and challenges presented by the regulatory and legal environment in healthcare
- Management and organizational design strategies to build competitive advantage in the health services marketplace
- Public policy and public health contexts for business decisions
- Concepts and theories of administration as these are applied to healthcare organizations
- Management-level thinking, leadership and problem solving skills
- Best practices in oral and written communications
Employment of medical and health services managers is expected to grow by 16 percent between 2008 and 2018, significantly faster than the average for all occupations, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The expansion will be greatest in settings outside traditional hospitals, including self-standing clinics, internet-based environments, and other independent sites where resourceful management skills will be in high demand.
MHA degree graduates are prepared to advance in a wide range of management positions including:
- Clinical Director
- Hospital Services Manager
- Program Manager
- Medical Office Manager
- Health and Social Service Manager
- Director of Nursing
- Medical Records Manager
- Mental Health Program Manager
- Practice Administrator
NLU's Online MHA Program
NLU offers an online MHA program, which gives students the flexibility to earn a Master's in Health Services Administration fully online or through a combination of online and traditional classes.
MHA Program Requirements
The Master of Science in Health Services Administration curriculum appears below. It includes 13 courses totaling 37 semester hours of credit and can be completed in about 22 months. The College of Management and Business will review graduate hours completed at accredited institutions and may transfer up to 9 hours maximum toward the Master of Science in Health Services Administration.
All applicants must meet NLU’s general admission requirements as well as the requirements specific to the M.S. in Health Services Administration degree program. Refer to the appropriate application checklist available online at www.nl.edu/applyonline.
Get more information today about enrolling in NLU’s Master of Science in Health Services Administration program. Talk to your Enrollment Advisor or call 888.NLU.TODAY (888.658.8632).