Creating the Future: Strategic Planning and Overarching Goals of the University
Through the work of the University Planning Group, a community-wide committee of faculty and staff, four overarching goals have been defined for the University. Each is important for the overall health of the institution and speaks to carrying out its mission. They are broad in scope and reflect (1) student-centeredness and learning, which are the essence of the University, (2) the importance of financial viability to meet the basic needs of effective operation, (3) the importance of climate for the people who are part of the university and (4), remind us that we are an institution that is seen by the people of Chicago region as providing something special; and by being in other communities we contribute to what we bring to Chicago as well as those communities.
Overarching University Goals
- To enhance the culture of assessment and the enrichment of student learning and experiences at NLU
- To establish and maintain financial viability while investing in critical needs required to effectively carry out the University's mission
- To establish and maintain a positive climate where people work together with openness and respect
- To provide distinctive educational programs that meet in a special way the unique needs of the people, schools and institutions of the Chicago region and other communities we serve
This plan represents the University as a whole, and key actions listed here will reflect University-wide and cross-unit issues. Each of the 12 unit plans, for the most part, will reflect these actions, which are relevant within those units. The following list of University-wide actions are among those that have been adopted as key for meeting the overarching goals.
- Develop a mission statement around our history, strengths and aspirations that is inspiring to the future and accepted by the people of NLU.
- Create a new "Center for Learning Assessment and Teaching Innovation" under the Office of the Provost
- Create a new “Center for On-Line Learning" under the Office of the Provost
To learn more about the Strategic Planning Group, please visit the UPG3 Planning Group web site. This site is password protected, to access use your NLU username and password. If you have questions or are experiencing technical issues, please contact the webmaster.